Friday, March 16, 2012

My First Job


I fell into my first job. I’d applied to Cambridgeshire County Council for supply work, as my original job in Dagenham had fallen through, and spent my days waiting for the phone to ring. One night, I came home from an evening out at almost midnight, to find my Mum waiting up for me (it was before the days of mobile phones). She said I’d had a phone call from a Headteacher in Peterborough and he wanted me to call him back, whatever time I got in. It seemed very odd to be calling someone at that time of night (and I was very glad I hadn’t been drinking!) but I did as he asked and we arranged for me to go into his school the following morning, as he had a vacancy he wanted to fill. He said that having seen my application form, he thought I would probably fit in very well.

The next morning, I caught the train to Peterborough, excited and nervous in equal measures, wondering if a new chapter in my life was about to begin. The school was in the city centre, and I found it quite easily. It was in a predominantly Asian area, and the school itself had a 99% Asian intake. I was shown around the school by the woman who would be my Team Co-ordinator, should I get the job. She was larger than life, with a personality to match, dressed in clothes of every colour imaginable. As she bounced along the corridors, bombarding me with questions, I found myself almost running to keep up with her. It was easy to see that she loved the school, the children, and her job. She threw open the doors to different classrooms, introducing me to all of the staff and children. I felt a bit like a rabbit being pulled out of a magician’s hat, but without the applause (or the fur). The school was beautiful and had a really friendly atmosphere and I was soon able to imagine myself working there, although I had no experience of working with children who had English as their second language.

After the tour, I went into the Headteacher’s office for a ‘chat’. I had expected an interview, but it really was a chat. He told me about the history of the school and about the current staffing situation. One of the teachers was off on long term sick leave and had actually resigned, and it was his class of Year 4 children who needed a teacher. We sat chatting and I felt like I’d known him for ages, although we’d only just met that morning. After selling the school to me and convincing me that he was offering me the perfect job, he leant forward in his chair and said “What I’m really saying is, I’m interested in you, if you’re interested in me?”

That was the moment when The Girl Who Thinks She’s So Funny took over my mouth and answered “Well, that’s all very well Mr Creasey, but what I really need at the moment is a job, before I start thinking about anything like that!”

He roared with laughter and said he could see I would fit in perfectly. I thanked my lucky stars that The Girl Who Thinks She’s So Funny didn’t scupper my chances and left as quickly as I could, in case she had anything else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment